Another Day at the Office
THE RAVENNA HOUSE We don't have a home office at the Ravenna House. Frankly there's just not room for that in 1400sf. Especially since we actually use our guest bedroom for guests - and on a weekly basis. So our "office" consists of a MacBook Air and wherever my tush finds a spot.
9 times out of 10, that's at the kitchen bench:
Our little non-office is cozy, but has everything we need. In fact, our we-don't-have-a-home-office situation really works for me. This is why:
- I like to be wherever I can catch the most daylight. Usually that's in the kitchen, but sometimes it's on my bed or on the front stoop.
- I like to work whenever and wherever I have a moment's peace and free arms to get work done. Isn't that the cardinal rule of mama-hood?
- I don't want to work in the long-forgotten armpit of the house. You know what I'm talking about: the leftover nook at the end of the hall or on the dark side of the basement that homeowners ask, "what in the hell will we use this space for?" and some well-meaning friend invariably answers, "make it into a home office". Yeah, well I don't want to work in that space. I just don't. It's not inspiring, encouraging, or anything else that makes you want to actually work.
- It's really convenient to work right next to the dishwasher. You clean up breakfast, load the dishwasher, and then sit down and work. No need to walk in another room. And say you get thirsty. Well you just hop on up and pour yourself a glass of water or whatever you've got in the fridge. Very convenient. Or lazy. Same diff.
- Wilder can play wherever he wants - the living room, the kitchen, his bedroom - and I can get a quick work session in. Okay, so I might get interrupted every 3 seconds and do more playing then working, but at least I get to be with my babe and occasionally get something done.
Obviously I like our set up. But admittedly, I don't work from home. I have a job in an office with a desk and the whole shebang (three days a week, anyway). If I did work from home, I image a little spot at the counter wouldn't do. It's perfect for blogging, photos, surfing the web, and dealing with our houses, but probably not much more then that.
And let me confess that I would totally have a killer home office if I had the room for it and an inspiring place to put it. Maybe, just maybe, someday I will... But for now, my little house in Seattle does just fine.
p.s. Okay, so regarding to my future home office, I'd take any of these.
p.p.s. And speaking of work. Do you like your job?
p.p.p.s. You can totally call me a lame-o. I promised you guys a followup on the basement paint (and masking) this week. And nothing. Well between the Chicago trip and getting ready for Wilder's birthday party, I haven't gotten any good photos taken. But it will happen soon. I promise. So take it back - I'm not a lame-o!