Progress Update on The Ravenna House
THE RAVENNA HOUSE Hey guys! Today is a progress update post and I'm excited to show you what the house looks like. But before I take you inside, I need to warn you about something. See we're still in that whole "it has to look worse before it looks better" phase and I don't want you to be disappointed.
Even though the house may not look like much, it's taken a lot of work to get here. Walls have been framed, retaining wall built, cabinets ordered, plumbing and electrical roughed in and just as soon as we pass our cover inspections, we'll be on to drywall and then we'll be cruising towards cabinets, tile, and paint! Okay, okay...cruising might be an overstatement. Inching would be more accurate. Inching is all we can do with day jobs and a 6-month-old at home. And as long as we're talking about commitments, Bubba the dog wants to go to the park. Baby wants a trip to the zoo. And moma wants to get a workout in (that baby weight isn't gonna come off by itself). So it may not be one of those "bring your toothbrush" houses, but it's damn fine progress in my book!
These are all pictures from today on my iPhone. Excuse the mess. We aren't living in this house yet (thank goodness) so tools and appliances are scattered about.
The shots above are panoramas of the "great room" including living, dining, and kitchen.
The basement is roughly 600sf and will have a family room, bathroom, and office/guest room. There is plenty of storage in the crawl space. I'll go into more detail in these rooms as we get closer to a final product. So that concludes this grand tour. You've seen the whole house...all 1400sf!
So this is what we've accomplished over the past 2 1/2 months in list format:
- Flooring, kitchen, and basement demo
- Selective bathroom demo
- Cabinets detailed and purchased
- Plumbing rough in
- Electrical rough in
- 5 of 10 windows "un-stuck" and operable (more on this later)
- All galvanized pipe plumbing demo'd (may I take a moment to acknowledge how gross the inside of 87-year-old pipes are? I CANNOT believe anyone drank out of these! Especially myself! I'm gagging over here!)
- CMU block retaining wall built
- Crawlspace concrete pad poured (all told we've poured 3 tons of concrete in the basement!)
- New footings for basement posts
- Appliances purchased
- Basement walls framed (50% complete)
Here's what is coming up in the next couple of months:
- Complete bathroom demo
- Pick out paint (there's a sale at Sherwin Williams until 12/31/13)
- Finish drywall in kitchen and hallway
- Order upstairs bathroom materials: tile and wainscott
- Order basement bathroom materials: everything
- Mud and tape drywall in kitchen and hallway
- Kitchen cabinet install
- Order kitchen countertop and schedule install
- Install Ikea farmhouse sink as an undermount
- Tile backsplash
- Install lighting
- Design the new heating system (we're still tossing around a few options: hydronic radiators, gas stove insert, and a furnace)
- New basement post and beam where it was previously removed (seriously...who does this?!)
Yes...you noticed it too. That's a pretty long list of things to do! Well we'll continue inching along...in the mean time, I'd love to hear about your renovations!
Next up: Guess you'll just have to tune in next week and see!
p.s. Merry Christmas! We're headed over to central Washington to celebrate the holiday with Garrett's family. It's the baby's first Christmas so I'm looking forward to it even more this year :)