Porch House Master Suite // Paint and Hardwoods (ORC Week 2)
THE PORCH HOUSE This post is part of a 6-week series for the One Room Challenge, a blogger makeover challenge hosted by Calling it Home every Fall and Spring. We're tackling the Porch House's master bathroom and closet this go around. Thanks for following along! You can get caught up on previous posts here: part 1.
We're back to the Porch House today, in another installment of the One Room Challenge. I'm not one to branch out too much with paint colors. Honestly, I wish I was a little more fearless with picking colors, but I usually stick to a handful of trusted colors. And that's exactly what I did here. We painted the closet and bathroom in a bright and warm white - Benjamin Moore's Simply White - with the walls in an eggshell finish and the trim in a satin finish. You may be thinking, "satin...on the trim?!" and my answer is, yes! Satin is in-between a matte and gloss finish and it looks beautiful on trim. We used it throughout the main floor of the Porch House (both in BM's Simply White and C2's Vex colors) and it's definitely my new go-to trim finish.
Speaking of trim, you may have noticed that the trim is up now too. We replicated the original trim profile in places where it was lacking and reused the original trim everywhere else. Our goal is that you can't tell where the trim is original and where it's new. Hopefully, all you notice is that it's beautiful!
I should mention that Garrett is the one who installed the trim and painted, while I hung out with baby Daphne. She isn't taking a bottle yet, meaning it's a 2-for-1 deal with us right now, so messy/smelly tasks are out.
I did get to help remove all the masking after the paint was dry, which is a task I actually really like because it's instant gratification. It was extra fun this go around because I've missed out on so much of this renovation due to being pregnant and then having a newborn. Honestly, I'm just psyched to be doing anything these days. Of course, Daphne wasn't far away when Garrett snapped this photo - she was napping in her carseat in the next room. Ha!
This week we also working on finishing the hardwood floors. Way back this Spring, we deemed the original floors in too rough of shape to refinish, so laid new white oak flooring throughout the main floor of the house (minus the master bathroom). Uncle Dougie once again hooked us up with 2 1/2" wide flooring, which admittedly took a long time to lay, but feel really appropriate in an old house. This week Garrett and my dad finally got around to finishing all those hardwoods, about 1200sf in total.
In the past, we've often hired out refinishing the hardwoods, because it's just such a messy, unpleasant job. But on this project, we couldn't justify the cost. We were quoted $5.75/sf (in Seattle it was more like $3.50/sf) which wasn't in the budget. So Garrett tackled this job with my dad's help and he should be finishing up today or tomorrow. They followed a similar method to what we did at the Farmhouse, which you can read about here.
That's a hardworking fella there. I'm pretty sure he wanted to fire me as 'budget master' when I told him there wasn't money for hiring out the refinish, but he didn't say anything. And that right there is the secret to our 13-year marriage ;)
Next week I'll share all about our experience commissioning a custom vanity and stay tuned for the finished photos of these beautiful floors!